Friday, May 19, 2006

Hello, my name is...


It’s been several weeks now, but I have a new name. I’m 柯翱. It’s pronounced “ke1 ao4.” Apparently it’s supposed to sound like “Karl” – but I think that’s stretching it.

During my first week in Shanghai the office manager Jenny told me I should select a Chinese name for my business cards as well as a couple of permit documents. Since my Chinese naming skills are somewhat rudimentary, I told the administrative assistants to select a name for me.

After hours of heated discussions in Chinese, they came back to me with: 柯翱.

“Okay. What does it mean?”

More heated discussion in Chinese.

Apparently the first character is a fairly typical surname (Chinese names start with the surname.) The given name was a bit more difficult to explain in English, so Jenny wrote down the meaning for me:

“Feral Bird.”

I guess when you’ve lived your life with the last name “Cluck” – anything is considered an improvement. But given the opportunity to select a new name, I thought I might try for something a bit more aspirational. Also, for me, the poultry thing was totally played out.

“That doesn’t sound very inspiring.”

“It’s a very good name,” Jenny defended. All the office ladies nodded in agreement.

I asked them to look it up in the dictionary and show it to me. I thought something might be getting lost in translation.

Jenny showed me in the dictionary: “To take wing, soar.” Oh, now that’s more like it. It’s still vaguely a bird reference, but soaring is better than clucking.

For awhile it seemed a pivotal life moment, an alternate identity, a fresh start. I was soaring, majestic, fantastic 柯翱 – my new name.

Predictably, soaring is followed by crashing. A few days later I showed my new name to my Chinese teacher. She smiled in amusement and remarked curtly, “This is a name only a foreigner would have.”

It's still better than either of Gwyneth Paltrow's stupid kids.

5 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

柯翱,

I can't believe you'd choose a new name without consulting me first. If you want a REAL Chinese name from the era in which you were born, consider adopting one of the following.

小紅 Xiao3 Hong2 (“Little Red”)
学军 Xue2 Jun1 (“Study the Army”)
要武 Yao4 Wu3 ("Want Weapons")
愛武 Ai4 Wu3 ("Love Weapons")
卫东 Wei4 Dong1 (“Defend Mao Zedong Thought”) (short for 保卫毛泽东思想 bao3 wei4 mao2 ze2 dong1 si1 xiang3)

Run these by your Chinese teacher to see which she likes the most.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, before I even scrolled down to read the rest of the post, as soon as I saw your name I turned over to Robby and said, "oh great, Karl got one of those names only a foreigner would have!!"

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Very amusing. Feral Bird, indeed.

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'll always be a cluck to me... x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home