Friday, June 16, 2006

Transit

I've been on the road this week. Just arrived in Hong Kong after three days in Guangzhou. I have to get my banking sorted out before American Express sends their collection ninjas to exact a pound of my flesh.

I'm staying at a Ramada in some nowhere neighborhood in Hong Kong because it was cheap. The bed has the pleasant firmness of a marble floor and the shower is a plastic, camper-style thing. The whole place has a stale institutional smell.

I will post more later.

Off to meet some friends of friends for dinner.

2 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karl,
This blog stuff is so very interesting-I was surfing one night Shanghai info- and I ran across your blog.
Now, I check it about every 2 weeks-
I look forward to your wit and observations as a first time expat to China. ( I will be in your shoes come Aug. 1)
I, also, feel much like a voyeur(sp?).
I was wondering why you opened a banking account
in HK, not in Shanghai?
Kathy
PS where did you go to get to that part of the Great Wall?

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Karl said...

Hi Kathy - glad you like the blog, it's been fun to do. So many wacky things happen here it seemed a waste not to write them down. You're lucky to be coming - it's terrifically interesting.

Regarding banking. The Chinese government makes transferring money out the country a very tedious process. There's a limit to the amount you can wire out, it takes tons of paperwork and online banking in basically non-existent. You can, however, get paid directly (everything's direct deposit) into a Hong Kong bank account, which is like an ordinary western bank.

I recommend getting a Chinese bank account for living expenses and a Hong Kong account for anything (like US credit cards) where you have to send money out.

As for the Great Wall, we went to the Mutinayu Section. But what I really recommend is overnighting at a beautiful lodge that's set on one of the unrestored parts. You can get info at www.redcapitalclub.com (I think that's the URL.)

Good luck!

Regards, Karl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home