Monday, September 11, 2006

Hammer time


The bamboo scaffolding across the walk was the first ominous sign –creating a cage-like effect when you entered the alley from the main entrance on Xiangyang Road. I suppose I was hoping that would be the extent of it. In New York scaffolding is erected as a semi-permanent structure, a vague indication that some kind of construction could happen sometime between now and the Rapture.

Today at 6:45AM my luck ran out.

It’s hammer time.

It’s also circular saw screech time. Indeterminate banging time. Metal crashing on metal time. Screaming in Shanghainese time. And, of course, my old favorite, hacking-clearing-throat-before-spitting-loogey time.

I took this photo from my balcony this morning. Imagine ear-splitting construction noise to achieve the full effect. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should consider bunking down with your neighbors till the construction's finished? I can lend you a bucket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home