Thursday, April 20, 2006

Guangzhou by Night

I was on my own for dinner last night so I left the hotel to forage for something other than room service.

From the distance I could see what I thought was a mall - it had so many neon signs and colored lights it looked like the final scene in "Close Encounters." In my brief experience here, a shiny new mall always meant one thing: Starbucks, beacon of English-speaking counter people!

I hiked across an eight lane boulevard, through a pedestrian tunnel and across a construction site. It turned out the "mall" was the Guangzhou Light Manufacturers Emporium. Alas, Starbucks had not yet opened an outlet there.

I did get photos of some outrageous giant fixtures they planted outside.

Then I went back and ordered room service.




 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home