Sunday, April 16, 2006

I think I found a house


I spent the day looking at apartments with my real estate broker Calvin. Predictably most of the places were in enormous, sterile expat compounds with pools and gyms and marble entries and cookie cutter layouts.

I kept asking if I could see something more authentic and with a bit of local character. I didn't move 7000 miles to live in Fort Lee.

The last place he took me to see was exactly what (I didn't know) I wanted. It's a restored row house in one of the few areas in the French Concession that hasn't been mowed over for crappy high-rises. The house is tiny, but unbelievably quaint with perfect proportions, a small garden and roof deck with enough room for a table and a few chairs.

The interior photos didn't really turn out, but here's a shot of the street.

Calvin called the landlord and I think we have a deal. It's a sliver more than what I wanted to pay (of course), but it's a HOUSE amidst the energy and activity of a real Shanghai neighborhood.

And I've got plenty of room for visitors. :-) Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home