Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Me, Todd, Emil and Lei Feng


The entrance to Juan’s building always features some well-illustrated admonition to “keep a harmonious neighborhood” or “cooperate for a better city.” Far from aspiring to such anodyne niceties, I’d be happy if the locals didn’t toss their garbage out the window like we live in some squalid medieval village.

In this photo you’ll see myself, Todd and Emil (recently visiting from San Francisco) contemplating the life lessons of revolutionary hero Lei Feng. He’s the quintessential Chinese everyman who, despite being orphaned and penniless, joined the PLA and gave everything to the poor. While his death (killed by a falling pole) might not be the stuff of epic poems, Mao singled him out as an example of a most noble adherent of Mao Zedong Thought.

In other news, Todd and Emil were perfect houseguests – going so far as to help clean up after the birthday party. While collecting garbage at 3AM is maybe not as heroic as getting smacked by a pole, they have my utmost appreciation.

Hopefully they’ll come again soon. After visiting cultural highpoints like this, who wouldn’t?

Next stop: Tonga!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw "Todd," "poor," and "killed" in the same paragraph, but the entry turned out different from what I expected.

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to see such lovely pictures of Todd and Karl! And to finally see what Emil looks like-- I have not returned to SF since I moved, there being too many memories there for me...

Anyway, do you mean Tonga, as in the Isle of Tonga where 80's pop group the Jets were from? "You found out-- I got a crush on you!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home